olde daks

From: William Hatch (wkhesq@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 14:35:15 EST

Dear victorp,

Oh my gawd, finally someone I can relate to on the dakota-truck net.

I have a '87 with the 3.9 and auto plus cruise, 4x4, plow/tow package
with 83000 plus miles.

I just about replaced everything over the past eight weeks. It started
with a rusted out oil pan. I had to take out the front differential to
get clearance. Well, then the motor mounts looked tired and I noticed a
crack in both exhaust manifolds, so I took them off. The front "Y" pipe
fought bravely but it finally gave way to the Sawsall and fell out onto
the floor. Now it is starting to get chilly up here in central NY so I
got hustling, or so I thought. Then I got thinking about how hard I had
worked to replace the starter when it was less than 1 year old, so I
took that out and sent it out. The manifolds and "Y" pipe at the dealer
were about 1% of a new truck so I called Clifford Systems on California
to inquire about headers. They cost me about $130.00, fit like a glove
and were ice cream easy to install. I did take the time to drill a hole
in the left collector and install a new O2 sniffer. Then we discovered a
rusted through brake line leading to the prop valve. Next came all new
brake lines and a new prop valve. I went to bleed and discovered that
the rear brakes were gone and the wheel cylinders bleeder screws were
about rusted away. The local municipalities put a lot of potassium
chloride salt on the roads up here in the snow belt because it is
cheaper than sand and it doesn't freeze in the spreaders. Anyway, once I
got it all back together, I took it on my trailer to the local muffler
people and for $180.00 they installed my old cat, another new cat that I
had picked up and bent all the pipes, etc.

Well, I will tell you that I have a much better performing truck, now.
It is still dead slow to warm up and it doesn't run well at all until it
is warm, but once warm, it really will plow and the road performance and
gas mileage have improved by about 4 mpg. Thats with the plow on the
truck, in 2WD on the public roads. I commute mostly on the interstate so
most of my fuel consumption relates to highway miles. Sounds rather
cool; nice and deep and mellow. Not too much of a blat unless you get on
it hard.

Clifford can be reached at: 1-909-734-3310, P.O. Box 2620, Corona, CA
91720. You can tell them that Bill Hatch in Tully, NY is most satisfied.
The only trick I learned installing heir headers was that they would not
fit between the steering shart and the manifold studs that I had
replaced. So, I had to remove the studs, line up the left header and put
the studs back in. Don't shortchange yourself by eliminating the cats
(big, big FED NO!NO!). Be sure to put the sniffer in and reconnect by
making new steel 5/8" lines from the smog pump back to the cats. It will
run better, you will be legal and with no carbon monoxide escaping from
the cat - live longer.

Question for you: Does anyone make a four barrel manifold and carb for
the old dak 3.9. If you uncover some manufacturer, please let me know. I
do not like the factory carb(s) at all. I don't necessarily want more
performance, more torque would be OK but, I want to be able to have some
driveability. My law clients get ticked when I stop to tinker; they
think I'll put that time on their bill. And, of course I do because I'm
a lawyer.

Best, Bill wkhesq@worldnet.att.net

Your message was:

Where can I get high performance part catalogs for dakota trucks.
I have a 87' dakota 4x4 with a 3.9L engine, automatic transmission,
long bed.
I really like this truck but, I would like to improve on the engine
performance (i.e.=MORE POWER).
thanks
victorp