Re: New to List

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 01:02:20 EST

At 09:41 PM 12/10/97 -0600, Robert Trottmann wrote:
>Thanks for the info. I looked at the FABM: way over my head. If I get the
>FIPK now, will I have to upgrade later if I get cowl induction? I don't want
>to spend $100 now, to throw it away with a hood upgrade. Also, do I have to
>get a whole new hood, or do those fiberglass hood scoops out of J.C. Whitney
>work, or are they crap? Are there any cons to cowl air induction?

   The FABM isn't really a big deal... (hard to install, that is) I went
the FABM route, sort of. I used a different can and I didn't manufacture
an S-bolt. The hardware that holds the stock air can on the TBO will work
just fine; I only had to buy a longer carridge bolt because the filter
I got was a 3", so it was a bit taller than the stock can.

   If I remember right, I did mine for about $65. You can probably figure
$70 to be on the safe side. That's a heck of a lot better than the $120
K&N wants for the same thing! (Except that the K&N comes with an S-bolt)

   I want to do cowl induction too; and I was just about to look into it
when I ran into a bit of a cash crunch. :-( The only negatives I can
think of are: how to match the paint on the fiberglass with the rest
of the truck? That is, the new painted fiberglass will probably deteriorate
at a different rate than the rest of the truck, which might make it look
funny after a while. (I don't know for sure though.)
   Also, I'm not sure about winter... I keep my truck outside, so I
might even put the original hood back on during the winter (to keep snow
out of the engine bay and the K&N)

   I asked some questions about cowl induction a little while ago on the
list; you might want to check through the archives. (Unfortunately, there
currently isn't a good way to search the archives; sorry...) The basic
upshot of the whole thing was that cowl induction is better than a
hood scoop or ram-air. Another member of the list (or ex-member? I dunno...)
has/had a hood scoop with a velocity stack setup. (Check out the pictures
page on the DML Home Page; look for a turquoise Dakota Sport with a hood
scoop). He posted once that he got better 1/4 mile times when he plugged
the scoop. So, somehow, the scoop was actually decreasing performance.
Also, a hood scoop creates a lot more drag than a cowl induction setup.
If you're looking for a (quick?), cheap route, Bill Tierney used some dryer
ducting and cut up his air can to make a ram-air that feeds from under the
front bumper. Pretty neat setup. :-) Gave him 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile,
if I remember right. I'd consider that to be more difficult than the FABM
though.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.