Re: New to List

From: KARL MOLTZAN (kmoltzan@mymail.net)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 10:06:20 EST

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:41:45 -0600 Robert Trottmann
<rotrottmann@davidson.edu> wrote:

>Thanks for the info. I looked at the FABM: way over my
head. If I get the
>FIPK now, will I have to upgrade later if I get cowl
induction? I don't
>want
>to spend $100 now, to throw it away with a hood upgrade.
Also, do I have
>get a whole new hood, or do those fiberglass hood scoops
out of J.C.
>Whitney
>work, or are they crap?

The ABS plastic ones are CRAP. I have one on my hood and
the fiberglas is cracked all the way around.I plan on
redueing mine with a fiberglas hood and scoop.

 Are there any cons to cowl air induction?

>JT McBride wrote:
>
>> First, welcome!
>> > Finally to my question. I want to upgrade my
intake, but I want
>> >more than just an FIPK. Can I get ram- air w/o a whole
new hood? If I
>> >do end up with just an FIPK, is installation that
tough? Thanks in
>> >advance for any information you can give,
>>
>> Lot's of listmembers have FIPK. You might look into FABM
(Fresh Air By
>> Meldrum) - involves some metal bending of your own, but
results are
>> superior to the K&N setup because you're drawing outside
air, instead of
>> underhood air.
>>
>> There are aftermarket hoods available. Personally, I'd
go for a cowl-
>> induction setup, as they're more effective at getting
pressurized air.

>> There's also an outfit that makes a plastic part that
cleans up the
>> airflow into the throttle body - even in the stock
airbox. You can
>> get the throttle body ported and polished, you can pay
about $600 and
>> get the intake manifold ExtrudeHone'd, or you can pay in
the neighborhood
>> of $4000 and get a blower for the Dakota from Vortech or
Paxton.

>> Choices.
>>
>> Jim

                       Karl Moltzan