Re: Paint

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 13:16:19 EST

At 11:45 AM 12/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>My 97 is brilliant blue pearlcoat. I have read a lot on the various
>newsgroups (e.g. rec.autos.chrysler) about the bad paint jobs in the
>early 90's (not just by Chrysler, either). A lot of the problems were
>in the blue/black colors, although other colors are problematic.
>It is my understanding that the primer changes of the early 90's
>have been corrected.
>
>If I really clean/glaze my dak, I see the same swirls in the sunlight.
>I have not had the truck buff'd. It came from the factory that way.
>I'm not sure if its a problem, or if it is indicative of the pearl
>coat. Comments?

I, too, have noticed this on my BLAK DAK. I have also noticed that my
truck has some pretty bad "orange peel." I have several friends that work
at the Corvette plant, one of which works on the finishing line. All he
does is inspect paint jobs all day and reject the ones that don't meet
certain requirements. He looked at my paint and said he had NEVER seen a
factory paint job like that. He said that if it were a corvette, it never
would have even made it to the finishing line, it would have been turned
back before then. I wonder if my paint was any worse than other new DAKs,
so I began looking at others, and they appear to be pretty bad too.
Although, mine seems to have a bit more "orange peel" than some others.
I'm not sure what to do about it. I have 10,000 miles on it now, and I'm
not sure if they would be willing to to anything about it. Of course, all
this is in addition to the sunlight-prominent swirls mentioned by others.

Andy