Re: Top Speed

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 20:54:13 EST

<< Besides, how can you check withou a speedo that goes up high enough. >>

   Time yourself. You need a long straight stretch to do it though. At 60
m.p.h. you'll cover a mile in one minute (60 seconds) exactly. On the
interstate, the mile markers are set out by surveyors. Don't rely on the miles
to go signs as I've seen them where I was getting farther from town as I went
to it.
   Take your time over a measured mile and divide 1 by the number of seconds
required to go 1 mile. Multiply by 60 and you get your miles per second.
Multiply by 60 again and you get your miles per hour. You can check your
speedometer accuracy this way, and if you can find a long empty stretch of
road, top end too. I did this once and darn near didn't beat the ticket. If it
had been an experienced cop, I wouldn't have.