Re: Paint

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 20 1997 - 16:38:42 EST

<< Compare the price of a New Dak or Ram to a base Vette. NOT a whole lotta
 difference, I believe...... >>

   Actually, G.M. isn't too worried about making much profit on the Corvette.
It's intended to be a show room magnet. The theory is to get a man with 2 or 3
screaming kids into the show room. Then , he may not buy the Corvette but that
mini-van or 4 door sedan may just fit the picture. It's not as effective on
women. They generally are more pragmatic when it comes to cars.
   That Corvette may help sell 10 or 15 cars before someone buys it.
Afterward, a red sporty car going down the street with the Chevrolet logo on
it also helps get people into the show room.
   Color is also effective. When I ran a salvage yard back in the early 80's,
I would occaisionally get a car in that someone just didn't want to fool with
anymore. Many dealers would drop in and buy these cars. Quite often they would
get a paint job. More than one got changed to "Resell Red".