Re: erratic idle speed, Noises, questions

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 1997 - 10:38:11 EST

JT McBride wrote:

> Jeff - You've had your Idle Air Motor checked out?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the 'Idle Air Motor'? I assume
something that injects air during idle?

I've got another noise question. During significant engine braking
deacceleration from 2000-2500 rpm in gears 1-4 with clutch engaged. I
hear quite a bit of rumble, sputtering, popping, etc. from the exhaust.
Not really any backfiring, but quite lively. Obviously much more
pronounced the lower the gear. Is this normal for the V8? Is it more
noticable with dual cat-backs? I would have expected that the SBEC would
trim the fuel down to eliminate most unburned fuel post ignition in the
exhaust. But, then again, its been 15 years since I've been back in the
saddle with a V8.

What kind of performance / economy improvements have people noticed with
addition of dual cat-backs and/or the K&N FIPK setup? Sorry, I know this
is an old topic, but I'm relatively new to the list.
I noticed an earlier post where someone with a V6 noticed decreased
low-end torque after installation of dual cat-backs. Is this true for
cat-backs installed with V8? Are there any drawbacks (reduction in
performance, milage, etc.) with the K&N FIPK setup that pulls air (warm)
from under the hood? Is the loss of cold air offset by the improved
breathing of the new filter?

My fender flares came in last week and I installed them this weekend. Of
course some of the mounting holes in the flares were not in the best
location for optimal fit. These were supposed to be factory flares!
Don't tell me that the guy on the 4x4 assembly line has to get out his
drill like I did. With a little tweaking, they fit perfectly. Watch out
for the adhesive backing strip on the front flares though - such a tight
fit that the strip tears off before its completely removed. Quite a
nuisance having to pull the flare back from the fender after its
partially adheared to get the rest of the backing strip off.

Happy holidays to everyone!

jeff
98 RC SB V8 5spd 3.55LSD