Re: erratic idle speed, Noises, questions

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 09:00:10 EST

At 10:38 AM 12/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

>hear quite a bit of rumble, sputtering, popping, etc. from the exhaust.
>Not really any backfiring, but quite lively. Obviously much more
>pronounced the lower the gear. Is this normal for the V8? Is it more
>noticable with dual cat-backs? I would have expected that the SBEC would
>trim the fuel down to eliminate most unburned fuel post ignition in the
>exhaust.

My 92 V8 4x4 w/ MP SBEC and Gibson cat back system does the same
thing.....Has been this way since I bought it in 93.....Some have said that
the headers take care of this, others have said it gets worse...

>What kind of performance / economy improvements have people noticed with
>addition of dual cat-backs and/or the K&N FIPK setup?

I have a plain old K&N...noticed more power, not more MPG.....I still get
about 11/12 arounf town.....I tend to lead foot a lot.....Hey it's a V8
after all!!

The exhaust, a single cat back 3" system, also bumped up power.....Mileage
not noticeably changed...

> Are there any drawbacks (reduction in
>performance, milage, etc.) with the K&N FIPK setup that pulls air (warm)
>from under the hood? Is the loss of cold air offset by the improved
>breathing of the new filter?

I have always been of the opinion that the colder teh charge the
better....Also, the stock ducting provides a nice charge of air (cold) as
opposed to the open element theory which relies on air from the engine bay......

A modification to the stock aircleaner was in an issue of Mopar Trucks/Sport
Utes magazine....It entailed adding another duct to the old air cleaner....

Kind of a twin-ram air setup.....

I saw another article that showed a newer Dak with the duel hood scoops and
an open air element setup that draws air from those scoops....THATS the way
to go...

>My fender flares came in last week and I installed them this weekend. Of
>course some of the mounting holes in the flares were not in the best
>location for optimal fit. These were supposed to be factory flares!
>Don't tell me that the guy on the 4x4 assembly line has to get out his
>drill like I did. With a little tweaking, they fit perfectly. Watch out
>for the adhesive backing strip on the front flares though - such a tight
>fit that the strip tears off before its completely removed. Quite a
>nuisance having to pull the flare back from the fender after its
>partially adheared to get the rest of the backing strip off.

What brand were they??? Were they factory???? Or aftermarket....??