Walkthrough was Re: RE: Fuel Filter

From: John Neff (^jndneff^@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 07:09:56 EST

I had a walk through on my lowered 83 Toyota. It was done the same way
as Dan's, i.e. removed rear windows, and cut out rear wall of cab and
front of bed, then used an RV accordian boot to join the cab and bed. It
never leaked water, even when tested with a high pressure sprayer at the
car wash. I had the truck in that configuration for @5 years before I
sold the truck. The walk through was cool looking, gave me a couple of
very much needed leg room (I'm 6'2", and the truck was a standard cab)
and also extended the length of the bed when I needed to haul something
longer than 7 1/2' as I could slide it between the front seats if it was
narrow, and still be able to close the window on the shell. Those were
the good things about the walk through. I would NOT do it again! It was
LOUD!! I had a full carpet kit in the bed, with carpet insulation under
the carpet, and there was so much road noise transmitting through the
floor and resonating inside the shell, it was nearly unbearable. Now my
ears are a little more sensitive to specific frequencies, I'm going tone
deaf just ask my wife, but other people also commented on how loud the
road noise was coming from the back. I had no exhaust mods, and there
was nothing mechanically wrong with the truck that could have caused the
noise, it was pure road noise. It was so loud, you would have to either
yell to your passenger to talk when on the highway, or turn down the
stereo, which had to be cranked to hear it very well over the noise.
Even if the stereo was turned down, you still had to raise your voice
pretty high to be heard. When I would get off the highway, the stereo
was so loud, you would have to turn it down. I ended up wearing the
paint off of the volume buttons on the deck, because I had to change it
so often. The best noise absorber I found came quite by accident. I was
moving and had my couch in the back of the truck. Now that was nice. I
wish I had a couch I could have kept back there as it was large enough
to absorb most all of the noise. Having been there, I would strongly
suggest NOT cutting the wall out of your truck. If you are dead set on
doing it, and do not plan on building a sub woofer wall, I would find
someone who has a walk through and go for a long ride with them on the
highway, that way you know what it will sound like.

John
98 Dak CC 4X4 Sport, 5.2L, AUTO!, 3.92LSD, DDBC, T&H Package, Power
Everything, Nerf Bars, Billet Grill, TSB#19-12-97, this baby sure is
quiet, I can talk at a normal volume and still be heard when on the
highway

--
remove anti spam ^'s from address to reply