RE: Exhaust and stereo questions.

From: Michael D Gemelke (Michael.D.Gemelke@wdc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 13:29:15 EST

See below...

----------
From: Sperduto, Nick[SMTP:SperdutoN@mail.dnb.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 1998 10:07 AM
To: DAKOTA Mailing List
Subject: DML: Exhaust and stereo questions.

Second question, I have the infinity stereo system and it when I have
all the speakers set equally between left and right and front and back,
it seems like one of the speaker on the left side is cutting in and out,
but not completely going on and off, almost like someone is turning the
volume up and down a little.

This is weird. Does it change as you move or rotate your head, or just
all on its own? If it's happening all on its own your head unit is
probably bad. Make sure you've got good program material (CD would be
great), and see if this happens on its own. If so, take it back.
Something's wrong.

 Also, if I play the right side speakers
alone, they seem to be clearer, than If I play the left ones alone, kind
of like the treble is turned up only on the one side.
It's not absolutely noticable, but it's starting to annoy me. When
sitting in the drivers seat and the speakers set equally, i can hear the
right sides more than I can the left, and usually you tend to hear the
speakers closer to you.

This varies from vehicle to vehicle, but If your truck is like mine ('95
Dakota xcab), you should expect to hear the sound as if it were balanced
more to the opposite side of the vehicle. This is because high frequency
sound is more directional than low frequency sound, and high frequency
sound is more easily absorbed by things like upholstery, and your
body/clothing. So the high frequencies coming from the left-side door
speakers (the rears have no tweeters) gets absorbed by your legs, and the
right-side speakers are not absorbed before they get to your ears. This
is why you locate the sound as coming from the right-side of center when
the power is balanced. This accounts for your perception that the highs
are not balanced and the right side is "clearer". The way to correct this
is to redesign your sound system. It's a bit of work and $$, but if
you're interested, reply and I'll give you my opinions on the "art of
acoustical design" - it's a hobby of mine.
I'm afraid if I take it to the dealer they're going to tell me I'm nuts,
I haven't had a chance to let any of my friends confirm this.
I have a feeling it's the tweeter speaker cutting in and out.

fyi...The tweeters on the old ('95} infinity systems are located only on
the door speakers (not on the rear speakers), and are connected directly
to the head unit's amplifier outputs. The low frequencies are split off
parallel to the tweeter and amplified with the amplifier on the speaker
itself. If the tweeters are really cutting in and out then one of two
things is happening: The connections to the tweeters on your speakers is
loose and/or corroded, or the head unit is malfunctioning. If it's a
change in volume level from the tweeter (not an on/off thing) it's more
likely to be the head unit. This all assumes that the phenomenon is true.
 It is always possible that you are nuts (overcritical/ over analyzing).
Having your friends confirm the problem is a great idea.
It seems
to be worse on when guitar solos and stuff like that are playing. I know
somthing like this was just discussed, but I didn't read all the
postings, so you can just e-mail me directly instead of clogging the dml
anymore.
Also, could someone let me know the webpage for tsb #'s again, I
misplaced the piece of paper I wrote it on.
Thanks,
Nick
Let us know what you find. It's a good case study. Anybody else have any
ideas?