Re: noise while cold

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 12:56:45 EST

At 08:16 PM 1/15/98 , you wrote:
>> For reference, truck is 98 dak cc 4wd sport. v8 auto 45 days old. 4800
>> miles on it.
>>
>> First question is it sounds like my truck has an exhaust leak, kind of
>> like a leaky exhaust manifold, leaks only under acceleration. It's not
>> real loud, but more noticeable when engine is cold. at first
>> I though it was an engine ping.
>> The dealer tells me it's normal catalytic converter noise (98 dak cc
>> with a v8) anyone else notice this noise.
>
>I notice, only when dead cold, first thing in AM, a LOT of engine
>fan noise, and the shift points are way up, even under very light load.
>(I don't belive in gooseing an engine till it's warm) After 2-3 min,
>the fan/air noise settles down. Almost like the thermal clutch
>on the fan works backwards. Not an exhaust sound on mine.
> Mike

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Kinda hard to tell from the drivers seat
exactly what it is (fan or exhaust or even the cat). I've only noticed it
when the engine is cold, but it doesn't do it every time. BTW, mine is a V6
so it's not just the V8s.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed