noise while cold

From: Mike (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 21:16:36 EST

> For reference, truck is 98 dak cc 4wd sport. v8 auto 45 days old. 4800
> miles on it.
>
> First question is it sounds like my truck has an exhaust leak, kind of
> like a leaky exhaust manifold, leaks only under acceleration. It's not
> real loud, but more noticeable when engine is cold. at first
> I though it was an engine ping.
> The dealer tells me it's normal catalytic converter noise (98 dak cc
> with a v8) anyone else notice this noise.

I notice, only when dead cold, first thing in AM, a LOT of engine
fan noise, and the shift points are way up, even under very light load.
(I don't belive in gooseing an engine till it's warm) After 2-3 min,
the fan/air noise settles down. Almost like the thermal clutch
on the fan works backwards. Not an exhaust sound on mine.
 Mike

 "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind
is being very wasteful. How true that is."- Vice Pres. D. Quayle