RE: 3.55 vs. 3.92 gears

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 12:03:21 EST

Joe,
        Here's my opinion. You will have more "power" - your motor will turn more
rpm's for each revolution of the rear wheels. Your quarter mile e/t's would
probably drop a little IF! You could get it to hook up as well without
making any other modifications (doubt it). As for the snow, you're wrong.
If conditions are slick at all (uphill on wet blacktop, ice, snow...
whatever) you would want to take off in a higher (lower numerically) gear.
Example: super icy conditions = start off in second gear. I have the 3.21
and it's great for slick conditions - sucks that it's not a sure grip
though. My first car was a very nice 65 Mustang Convertible. Original rear
was around 3.00 (2.90-3.10 - whatever) and I used to find patches of water
to burn out/doughnut in. For fun, I put a 4.11 third member in it, and even
with lakewood traction bars on it, it would hop badly and absolutely boil
the tires without flooring it (built motor and no posi rear end). Point is:
harder launch, but harder to get traction the lower (higher numerically)
your rear end/trans gears are. Anyone know a magic potion for a SG 3.21
that wouldn't break me (wouldn't take much to break me!$!)... let me know.
Hope this helped explain things.
        Tate

----------

     Recently I posted about upgrading mey 98 318 3.55 Dakota to 3.92 Sure
     Grip.
     I have recieved comments stating it would not make the truck any
     quicker in the 1/4.

     Can anyone clarify what I will gain / lose by doing such a
conversion?

     I am under the impression that the truck will launch better, be
     quicker in the 1/4 and be a little better in the snow.

 Thanks, Joe

     Joe Borg
     joe.borg@ccmail.dowjones.com