Re: Dak Weak Trans/reply from rebuilder

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 11:23:16 EST

In a message dated 98-02-23 09:23:46 EST, Joe forwarded the following:

<< We rebuild approximately 3-5 518 transmissions a week, in Dodge
 trucks('95-'98, mostly) with 40,000-60,000 miles. I have never seen one
 go more than 80,000 miles, although I am sure that some do. The torque
 converter is the main culprit, and there is nothing that can be done about
 it. Secondly, the torrington bearings, sungear, and planet, in the
 overdrive, are weak, and usually the hardfacing begins to flake off of
 these components, at, or around 60,000 miles, if the converter does not
 fail first. Also, unlike a 727 transmission, Chrysler did away with the
 input shaft-outputshaft bushing support, probably to cut down on production
 cost, which makes the front of the unit considerably weaker than a 727
 transmission.

I spoke with my local tranny shop about the 'weak' tranny issue last week when
I had my tranny serviced. He essentially told me the exact same story, the
OD, and torque converter are the main culprits, with the torque converter
being the primary problem, and he also mentioned lack of shaft supports. He
said that he wouldn't expect to see many that last over 80,000.

I'm at 67,000 with no problems yet. (knock on wood, and hope I make it home
tonight).

P.S. See my updated Sig file.
Richard Lewis
E-Mail : rlewis7785@AOL.COM

92 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, LE Trim
318 C.I.D V8
'Weak' Automatic Tranny
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio.
Two Tone Black & Silver
Leer Crown Series Topper Painted to match.
Mopar Bedliner
EdelBrock 1002 Air Cleaner.
Firestone Firehawk SS10 235/70R15