Re: Electrical Banana

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 11:05:27 EST

--------------150F2A41A502E69993BA55C3

> The truck is less than 3 years old, and the whole
> reason I bought the H/D service package was to avoid stupid crap like this.
> I have never seen a battery shit the bed all of a sudden like that. Most
> battery failures I've seen came on with some warning (slow starts, etc.).
>
> I plan on attempting to charge the battery again, since the truck will run
> if it starts. But has anyone else seen anything like this? Really seems odd
> to me. I do plan to take it to my dealer and have them check the charging
> circuit out; that 41 code makes me wonder. And a 2.5 year old H/D battery
> should never croak like that. <grumble>
>
> Ron

  I don't know about the codes or other technical stuff, but when my battery on my
95 died over the summer it was much more sudden than I thought. One slow start, I
panicked and I went straight out and bought a battery and came home. Never started
off the old battery again. Totally dry. I had it checked at the place where I got
the battery and it was at about 7 volts. I do run a nice size sound system, alarm
system, fog lights off that battery, but once it died, it was dead.
How do you get the codes when the check engine light comes on, anyway?
Robert Trottmann
rotrottmann@davidson.edu
Davidson, NC
St. Louis, MO in 61 days (not that I'm counting down, or anything.)

--------------150F2A41A502E69993BA55C3

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>The truck is less than 3 years old, and the whole
reason I bought the H/D service package was to avoid stupid crap like
this.
I have never seen a battery shit the bed all of a sudden like that.
Most
battery failures I've seen came on with some warning (slow starts,
etc.).

  I plan on attempting to charge the battery again, since the truck
will run
if it starts. But has anyone else seen anything like this?
Really seems odd
to me. I do plan to take it to my dealer and have them check
the charging
circuit out; that 41 code makes me wonder. And a 2.5 year old
H/D battery
hould never croak like that. <grumble>

  Ron</BLOCKQUOTE>
  I don't know about the codes or other technical stuff, but when
my battery on my 95 died over the summer it was much more sudden than I
thought. One slow start, I panicked and I went straight out and bought
a battery and came home. Never started off the old battery again.
Totally dry. I had it checked at the place where I got the battery
and it was at about 7 volts. I do run a nice size sound system, alarm
system, fog lights off that battery, but once it died, it was <U>dead.</U>