New and need some help...

From: mpnhl@gti.net
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 15:11:53 EST

Hello, My name is Matt, I am new to the Dakota list and joined because I currently am having problems with my 98 Dakota and problems getting Chrysler to fix it...I need opinions on the problem and how to go about getting Chrysler to fix it...also if anyone is having the same problem and fixed it it would be great to hear how.... I'd also like to conduct my own personal survey and see if what I was told by Chrysler is true that all trucks set up like mine are starting to have this problem.... Here it is I'll try to be breif....I have a 98 Dakota sport 4X4 with 5.2L(318)....it has 5 speed manual Trans, Heavy duty Cooling and electrical, 3.92 rear....All 5 reports of this problem are said to be set up like this Automatics do not have this problem.... The problem is this when I decelerate from 2500rpm to idle or any lower rpm the truck backfires or makes a popping noise....the Dealer has replaced the muffler, Cat, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PCM, and all with no fix....Now they t!
ell me that Chrysler has only 5

complaints of this Nation Wide and no fix is now available the belief it is PCM related...(spikes are seen on the 02 sensor and MAP sensor when popping occurs)....and they Might re-write the flash for the PCM... To me this is not supportive and who knows what the avers affects of this problem will bring in the long run...If anyone knows how I might be able to obtain Technical Support Bulletins myself or request Chrysler to work on this problem so a TSB would be released please forward the information...what I am trying to decide here is whether to lemon-law the truck or not...if everyone with the same set-up Dakota is having this problem then I know Chrysler would put a genuine effort to fix it...if its true only 5 of us nation wide with the same set up are having this problem I don't see Chrysler moving to swiftly...I don't have much more time because in my state 18000 miles is the limit on the lemon law and I don't have much more to go (probably the way I drive 4 more months!
)....All I really want is Chrysl

er to fix the problem once and for all The truck is genuinely exactly what I wanted and needed and if I lemoned it I'd just get the same thing anyway...just without the Backfiring I'd HOPE! Any opinions would be greatly appreciated you can feel free to e-mail me directly at mpnhl@gti.net or reply to the list... Thank you for your time and support Sincerely Matt Pinto mpnhl@gti.net ------ "...I never had any large respect for good spelling...Before
 the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling..." - Mark Twain's Autobiography