Re: A Shocking Experience

From: Brett Stoner (Brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 09:00:23 EST

>>> Joe Borg <joe.borg=40ccmail.dowjones.com> 03/23 8:39 AM >>>
> My 98 Dak tries to electrocute me every time I get out and touch =
the=20
> door to close it. Anyone else having this problem? Joe

Apparently most number of newer cars have this problem to different =
degrees. I guess it=27s related to the low rolling resistance tires that =
are used now. They use less carbon in the tire design and as a result =
static takes much longer to dissapate to the ground when you stop. Then, =
when you get out and touch the door, the static all goes through you. The =
best way I=27ve found to avoid this is to be touching a metal part of the =
door when you get out. Then your shoe gets the shock and you don=27t feel =
it. Other options would be to touch the door with a key every time you =
get out (although that seems rather tedious and quite prone to scratching =
if you ask me) or simply buy a set of grounding straps at your auto parts =
store.

HTH
  Brett