Re: Re: Lubricant -Reply

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Apr 18 1998 - 12:04:54 EDT

At 05:57 PM 4/17/98 , you wrote:

>Well, I guess I get to be the contrary voice concerning WD-40. I used it
>about 3 or 4 times a year in the 87 Toyota 4x4 I recently sold with no
>adverse effects. Perhaps in a dusty, off road environment, WD-40 would
>not be the best choice. The closest my 98 DAK gets to a dirt road is the
>1/4 mile gravel driveway at a friend's house.
>
>(Now engaging "anti-flame" countermeasures...)

I would hope that we all could have a rational discussion (including
disagreeing) without having to resort to flames and such. WD-40 is
wonderful stuff and I have used enough of it in my time to fill a swimming
pool. But I have never used it in locks, nor would I ever recommend anyone
else doing so. Among the many jobs I have had, I worked for a while as a
locksmith's assistant. I have seen many locks that were gummed up because
of WD-40. I have also talked to dozens of locksmiths in the north central
Texas area and never heard any of them say anything but bad things about
WD-40 in locks. I'm glad you never had any problems with your using it. I
once knew a guy who bragged about how long after the light turned red that
he could still go through it without being in a wreck. Worked for him, but
I wouldn't recommend anyone try _that_ either.

I think the fact that you used it 3 or 4 times a year is significant. Most
people wait till their locks are stiff and hard to turn, then spray WD-40
in them. Then they forget about it until the problem crops up again. This
leads to a build up of dirt and eventual jamming no matter what the
conditions. Your good luck notwithstanding, silicone spray or powdered
graphite is a much better choice for locks.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed