Re: Jacob's Ignition

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 14:34:26 EDT

-Jon Wrote:
> Have you had the truck out to the track yet? There are two
> people on this list who both lost 2 tenths in the 1/4 after
> installing aftermarket ignitions. One was MSD, the other
> was Jacobs. Based on that, you might want to run your truck
> with your stock ignition, and then run it with the Jacobs.
> You might be unpleasantly surprised. (Hopefully not, but
> you never know...)
>
> Based on these experiences, I have been recomended to change
> out the wires, cap, rotor, and coil, but leave the ignition alone
> as long as possible. (And that's what I'm gonna do.) Once I get
> nitrous, I'll need the 6A in order to retard the timing, but when
> it gets installed, I will be watching it VERY closely. If I go
> slower like others have, I'll be installing a switch to be able to
> run the stock ignition when not on the juice.

Jon,
         Haven't had the R/T to the track yet. Going to try to go
Friday. When I called Jacob's ignition they said they had put
it on a ram with the 5.9L and gained 14 HP and 12% more torque.
Could be just a line to get me to buy it (it worked) but they said I
could return it for a refund if I'm not happy. Iv been using the G-tech
accelerometer after each mod to see rear wheel HP and 0-60 times.
So if there is no difference I'm sending it back. I'll let you know.

Mike Catlin