Re: DML:Confusion Was spark knock

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 09:43:13 EDT

Kevin M. Bigler wrote:

> The Dak's (and most CC Products) have
> a "knock Sensor" that automatically detects knock, and then the computer retards
> the timing to keep the engine from knocking.

  I can't speak for most CC products, but I can say that the Magnum engines
(V6/V8 definitely) do not have a knock sensor and therefore do not adjust timing
based on knock input. You will accomplish nothing by dumping more octane than
required to prevent preignition in these engines.

  As far as the original poster was concerned, if it still pings on premium
unleaded, you probably have a problem with cylinder hotspots or deposits
causing increased compression. I would suggest trying some sort of engine
deposit cleaner, a Water Wetter type additive to the cooling system, lower
temp thermostat; in that order. Also check whether your plugs are of the
correct heat range (are you burning electrodes? Try a cooler plug). Otherwise
you'll have to live with it or tear the heads off to examine further.

  FWIW, my stock '95 318 pings at around 70-75mph on the highway, at medium
acceleration or up hills. Especially when loaded. Midgrade unleaded (89
octane) helps a lot, though I burn 87 most of the time. I really believe
that these engines are at the bleeding edge of octane requirements, and
pinging under certain situations is a fact of life, unless you want to
burn premium constantly.

  When I finally shell out the coin for the performance computer, I will have
to run 93 at all times. Hopefully a small price to pay for the extra 20HP.

  Ron