Re: synth oil claims

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 07:20:02 EDT

>><< It has been proven time and again on rear wheel dynos that changing to
>good synthetic oil can free up as much as 10 hp. Plus, you can go longer
>between oil changes (if you continue to change the filter) and it provides
>superior protection for your motor >>
>Bull hockey!

     I've read that same MM&FF article. Of *course* the manuf. isn't gonna
claim a hp increase. Look what happened to Split Fire. The thing to
remember here is that the synth fluids aren't *creating* hp. They're
simply reducing the frictional hp loss thruout the entire drivetrain. And
note that these gains were made by swappin' the fluid all the way thru.
Crankcase, trans, and diff.

Now...the synth filters I'm not so sold on yet. But start yer truck just
one time in mid January with in being 2 below and it fires and runs like in
70 degrees out and you might reconsider. I won't do my own oil changes
(apartment life sucks 8^) ) but it only costs and additional $15 per oil
change for the synth and I go an addtional 2000 miles between changes. In
15k miles I'd get 3 synth oil changes at $38. Same 15k with the dino and
I'd have 5 changes at $23. 3 * $38 = $114. 5 * $23 = $115.
Hmmmmm.......not so bad, eh? I'll be swappin' the trans and diff over to
synth very soon and possibly the power steering as well. I'm sold.

*** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 *** http://surf.to/real-per4mance ***

sean meldrum
Email @ Home: spm@c3net.net
Email @ Work: sean_meldrum@ittauto.com