Re: Gibson exhaust

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 02:58:18 EDT

> Does anybody have experience with a Gibson cat-back?
> I'm contemplating a dual split for my 98 4x4.
> Specifically, I'm looking for info on performance gains, sound, and
> installation if you did it yourself.
> Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
>
> Trevor
> '98 Dakota Sport 4x4

Yeah, I know a little about Gibsons. :^)

1) Performance gains: A little. It's a heavy truck so I didn't
expect one mod like the exhaust to make a *huge* difference.
But she feels a little quicker.

2) Sound: Great! Great! Ask Sean Meldrum about the sound
of my truck. I've heard it just a few times (since I don't
let other folks drive my truck very often) and I really like it.
Also, the sound level inside the cab is very low. I like that.
I don't want to listen to my exhaust every time I drive down
the road. I want that sound to get out behind/beside the truck
and warn everyone else. :^)

3) Installation: I did it myself. Very easy. The Gibson system
uses the factory hangers and just bolts onto the pipe coming from
the cat. Piece of cake.

4) Price: I got the aluminized version. You can buy Gibson cat-back
systems from practically any truck performance place in the U.S.
Since Gibson is based in CA, there are a ton of Gibson resellers
on the West Coast. Note: I found out first-hand that it will always
be cheaper to search for a good price from a dealer instead of
ordering directly from Gibson. The folks at Gibson told me over
the phone that they keep their prices high so that they don't
compete with their dealers/resellers.

I am *very* happy with my exhaust. I think the total price
was around $275 *including* a good deal of shipping to
get the system from the West Coast to WI.

One other thing: Don't do the dual pipe. Stick with the single pipe
system. Unless your truck has stacks with rain caps coming up behind
the cab, you should stick with a single pipe.

-Scott
'97 Dak CC 4x4 Gibson 3" cat-back.

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."