Re: Nitrous not bad....users bad

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 23:13:03 EDT

At 06:05 PM 5/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey, If nitrous was the way, we'd be chemists instead of mechanics. Well
>actually combustion scientists, but you get what I mean? Better living
>through chemistry went out in the 50s.

  Well, naturally aspirated, supercharged, turbocharged, nitrous... Its
all chemistry, actually. Chemistry and physics. The very root of the
internal combustion engine is a chemical reaction. In an ironic sort of
way, nitrous is actually more "natural" than a supercharger or turbocharger;
you're replacing the inneficient atmosphere with a superior alternative,
as opposed to just cramming more air in there; quality rather than
quantity. :-)

>Then again, I got stomped by a 4 door datsun 510 in my 72 cuda. The shame.
>He had a tank in the trunk and a V8 under the hood. I felt better after he
>showed me "the secret". I considered his a "hollow" victory. Sour grapes?
>He sure did kick my A** considering he had a bowtie350 from the junkyard.
>Id like to see how long he could "keep it up" without cooking. I know I can
>go a looong time at full tilt. No drag strips around so we gotta use the
>freeway.
>BKB

   I can't comment on that particular car, but as far as I know, the only
thing that restricts the endurance of a nitrous-fed system is the amount
of nitrous that you've got left in the bottle. The natural cooling effect
of the nitrous helps to reduce combustion chamber temps, so its not like
a supercharger or something where the engine might have a propensity
to overheat. Heck, during WWII, Daimler-Benz used a 350hp shot of
nitrous on one of their supercharged V12 aircraft engines; it could be
used for a half an hour at a time. (That would use up about 350lbs of
nitrous; can you immagine the size of that bottle?) :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.