Re: Re: Re: 360 into Dakota swap attn. woodgate

From: woodgate (woodgate@sprynet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 02:17:32 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: N2mopars@aol.com <N2mopars@aol.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 09, 1998 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: DML: Re: Re: 360 into Dakota swap attn. woodgate

><< The only thing I am uncertain about now is what radiator to use. I'm
sure
>that the radiator on the 3.9 is too small. I need something that can
provide
>ample cooling for moderate towing >>
>

>Considering the year of your truck, I would try to get all the motor
mounts,
>and radiator for a 89 Shelby Dakota. These had V8's, and most importantly,
>the shorter front sheetmetal. Later Daks changed the front sheetmetal to
give
>more room for the V8's. Also the Shelby Daks used electric cooling fans,
you
>may want to get those also. I wouldn't be surprised if your radiator and
fans
>are the same as the Shelbys. Sounds like the swap wont be too hard. Have
>fun!!!
>
>Brad
>
>P.S. Watch out with the torque converter you use, as the 360's are
externally
>balanced engines, 318's and 3.9's I beleive are internally balanced
engines.
>try to use the 360 converter, but make sure it mates up to the input shaft
of
>what ever trans you are using. Motor should bolt right up to your trans.

Hey Brad here is the original email that I forgot to title this should
explain that I will be using the trans that I previously rebuilt for the
360.

Greetings

I have an engine swap tech question. After reviewing the local laws I have
determined that it would be legal to swap the 360 from my '85 Ramcharger
into my 87 Dakota provided all emissions controls from the Ramcharger are
functional in the Dakota.. The Ramcharger is very rusty otherwise I'd still
be driving it around. I Know that in '89 dodge added the 318 as an option
on the dakotas. Were there any chassis changes that they needed to make? If
not then looking at an 89 might give me insight to getting 360 in my '87. I
would use emisions legal headers and exhaust components for an '89. I have a
fresh rebuild/buildup on the 727 trans in the Ramcharger and would do a
pretty much stock rebuild on the 360 while its out. On the 727 we took the
time to make the neccessary modifications to put extra clutches in each
drum, better kickdown servo, shift kit along with other durability mods.
Could I use the output shaft and tail housing from the dakota's trans to
allow its use with the dakota T case? If not will the housing on the 3.9's
trans bolt up to a small block chrysler. Will I need to move the T-case and
crossmember back and have the drive shafts cut down? They are both
carborated non computerized vehicals so its a strait forward swap in that
area. I have noticed that dodge does'nt make a new part for something if
they dont have to. Someone broke a tailight on my dakota and lo and behold
those from the ramcharger bolted right up and did'nt have the cheesy chrome
bezel. I am also planing on a tire and wheel change. I have a set of new
31x10.50 BFG's on the Ramcharger. It looks like they would fit the Dakota
after a set of Bushwacker cutouts were instaled and the rear of the fron
inner fender wells were modified to take advantage of the cuttouts. I had
heard of offset wheels being required with lifts for such a tire but this
mod to the entire fender area should eliminate the need for the offset. I
know I'll need wider wheels and I actualy hate the wheel covers currently on
the truck so I was going to replace them anyway. I'd like to avoid
offsetting the wheels due to the effect it has on steering geometry. A gear
set change may be in order as well as a LSD or locker. I have the skills and
the help to pull it off. I just need a few blanks filled in. A friend of
mine races circle track and fourwheels. He has everything, air tool, hand
tools, Tire Mounting Machine, Balancer etc at his HOME workshop. With his
help and about 4 friends (also mechanics) we should have no trouble once I
have plan based on what actually needs to be done to pull it off. After the
360 has been rebuilt with this crew it could probably be in and running
right in under a weekend. The making the cut outs and flairs would take us
about 4 hours max. Considering I have almost all parts already I would spend
very little doing it as well.