Re: '99 model questions

From: W. Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 10:05:13 EDT

I know that at least GM tested the possibility of a FWD pick up , but I
guess the stresses put on a truck , especially in a work and towing
environment , are just too great and probably had an adverse affect on the
reliability of the drive train .

It may have also had something to do with the truck being stable with a
heavy load on it .

BUT -

If you remember the little Dodge front wheel drive pickups they made in
about '85 or so .

There is a guy around here that took a motor out of a Shelby GLHS and
dropped it in that thing . Looks factory original too .

I can't remember the name of those things , but they were kinda like an
El'Camino , only they were based on the Dodge Chargers ofthat time period .

At 09:48 AM 6/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> > If it is available in 4times4 , they will be replacing alot of transfer
>> > cases under warranty .
>
>> Not necessarily. Remember, the Syclone/Typhoons are AWD. The trannies
>> and rearends were weak links.
>
> You know, this makes me wonder. Although I am a big fan of RWD for
>tradition, simplicity of maintenance, and familiarity of driving technique
>reasons, sometimes I think that a FWD truck would be a much better
>architecture. Usually I'm thinking this when I'm trying to haul the boat
>up a slick ramp ;) .
>
> Why no FWD trucks?
>
> Ron

Jack Hilton