Air conditioning Mismarking by CC

From: wparkersr@erols.com
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 22:08:53 EDT

On my new 98 Dakota there are at least two positions on the air handling
switch that does not indicate that the A/C compressor is running (NO
SNOWFLAKE visible anywhere). I went to work the other morning running with
the switch in the bi-level position thinking I was just using outside air
(which was cool) when in fact I was running the A/C compressor.
Soon it felt cold inside and I stopped at a light, pulled over, and raised
the hood to verify the fact the A/C compressor was running. The compressor
was definitely running.

When I called my local Dodge dealer (actually went down there to show him
because he did not believe me) I was given some B/S about this is not
possible. Well after much arguing and pointing he promised to call CC the
next day. Next day as promised, he called me back this AM with weird
story that says yes CC is aware of this problem and is not going to do
anything about it. SEEMs according to CC folks that they have put a section
into the new owners manual(I haven't found mine yet) that talks about this
problem and advises owners when to only run the fans in those positions. In
any case, if you run your truck with the switch in those positions, you
should know that the A/C compressor is running and ruining your fuel mileage.
This is counter productive when one wants to be enviromentally correct and
run with just outside cool air and save on the A/C costs. I am a new Dak
owner so I don't know if this is typical of CC thinking, but if it is I may
have bought the wrong truck!!!! Anyone else aware of this situation or
talked to CC about it???