RE: Working on tb now - tips - maybe!?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 15:47:37 EDT

At 03:55 AM 7/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, Eric. Do you know if those shaft bearings need to be pulled (if they even come out)? The shaft isn't gorgeous after you grind the bolt holes to get the shaft out, but it's not an abomination either (at least not to me). Are we going with mother's on the protective coating? Wonder how durable/heat resistant it is? One more question (for now ; ) ) - what do the bearings, shaft get lubed with? Anything?
>
>Thanks ahead of time.

  I didn't grind the bolt/screw holes at all to remove the shaft; it
pulled out without a lot of hassle. (One thing that helped was to
take a pair of long nosed pliers and squeeze the shaft together; slips
through really easy then.) As far as the looks go, I sanded the paint
off the shaft, and polished it up too. Looks better now, IMHO. (And
flows better than the rough paint I'm sure.)

  I wouldn't lube anything; I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to
them, but the bearings looked sealed to me; not much you could do anyway.
Also, you don't want any junk in there that could get sucked into your
intake and valves. Keep it as clean as possible! :-)

  As far as Mothers' heat resistance goes; I'm not too sure about that.
Never even occured to me, to tell you the truth! :-) I just went outside
and took a look at the can of Mothers. It says not to freeze it, but it
doesn't say anything about heat. (For whatever that's worth.) :-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |