Re: JBA Header Deal Complaint (sorta')

From: W. Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 10:41:22 EDT

> 1. Are the HP and torque gains believable with a stock exhaust behind
> the headers? I think I saw 20 more horses and something like 20-25
> more ftlbs of torque.

I really don't know what to tell you here . I know taht they are claiming
17-22HP and like 20-25lb/ft of torque .

> 2. Will this make the truck noisy/loud like a race machine? Will it
> change it at all? I'm all for more HP/torque but I'm not trying to
> build a race machine... I'm more into the 4 wheeling stuff.

I would throw that question to those in the group that have had experience
iwith headers on their Daks , specifically , shorty headers on a 4x4 .

> 3. Speaking of 4 wheeling... Any down side there with mud/snow/crud
> being sprayed all over them? I would think stainless would be more
> durable, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

As I understand it , Jeff at JBA tells me that the standard headers that
are stainless steel , are not polished and have no real finish . He says
that after a few uses and heating/cooling periods , that they will most
likely turn a very dark color , almost black , but that they will NOT rust
. He says that these are designed for those who are looking for performance
. He says that the coated version not only reduces underhood temps , but it
is also polished to a chrome-like finish .

I would think that they wouldn't be affected by any water or debris such as
mud , but I'll ask later on today in my daily talk with him , heh heh .