Re: Fan Clutch Thanks and a New Questions

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 23:19:10 EDT

At 10:47 PM 7/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks for the responses on the fan clutch "roar". I guess it's something
>I'll have to live with. Only problem is: I can't go impressin' the neighbors
>with 90' burnouts with the thing sounding like that and still retain my
>dignity.
>
>Now for another question; I'm lookin' to take the next step in performance.
>I've already got the MP computer and a ported TB. The MP cam package looks
>attractive, and I think that's my next step. Someone told me that the 1.7
>ratio rockers that Crower(?) makes are as effective as the cam. Does anyone
>have any data (or a good subjective opinion) that backs this up? What happens

   There was a magazine article where they did the rocker install. I
think it might've been on Lance Martz's truck, which means it would be
either Truckin' or Mini Truckin'. Sean Meldrum was telling me about
the gains from the 1.7's and they weren't very much. I don't know much
else about it, but I suspect bigger gains can be had elsewhere. For
example, if you've still got your stock exhaust, there's about 30hp
waiting to be released there. An open element air filter and/or a
ram-air/cold air system would help a lot too. (open element is a lot
better than stock, but a ram-air is even better)

  Anyway, you might want to get ahold of that Crower 1.7's article and
take a look at it for yourself before making a decision on that. Based
on what I've seen so far, when I upgrade my rockers, I'll probably
stick with the 1.6's. (but who knows; things change....)

>if you do both the rockers and the cam (seems to me lift would be a little too
>much for a 5.2L)? Does anyone have experience with the MP P5249816 manifold?

  Nope, but there are a few people (including myself) that are planning
on getting one. Last I heard, it wasn't available yet. I heard
it would be available in the fall. Anyone have any info about that?
  So far, the best price I've found on the manifold is Koller Dodge
(www.kollerdodge.com) They want $206.XX. (25% off list)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.98@90.18), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |