Electric Fan

From: May, Tim (tmay@abercrombiekent.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 09:36:06 EDT

>I've just called two Jeep dealerships - neither had a part listing for
this fan. One dealership is sending a fax to Chrysler to find out about
it
and will contact me with info.

Arrrgh! Come on Chrysler parts people, give me a break! The listing for
the
'98 GC 5.9L fan is right friggin' there in the '97-'98 Grand Cherokee
parts
book (which BTW can be found at ANY and ALL Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep,
Eagle
dealerships), even one that is pretty much out of date like the early
'98
microfiche copy (dated 01/15/98) I have. I mean there is like only 1
(one)
page in the whole friggin' book dedicated to the 5.2L and 5.9L engine
cooling system, and the fan is listed right there in plain sight, that
is
plain sight of anybody who can actually READ!

Since several of you out there can't seem to find Chrysler parts people
with that all-important skill (perhaps "hooked on phonics" should be a
core
element of their training?), I'll do their job for them and pop out to
the
garage (where I keep my $25 garage sale 'fiche reader), spend about 20
seconds popping in the microfiche sheet and artfully navigating to that
apparently elusive page, just to share with you some of the important
parts
for the '98 GC 5.9 Limited electric fan setup:

 Part No. Description
 5602 2139AC GC 5.9L Electric fan/shroud assembly
 5602 2166AF Upper Rad. hose w/T-fitting & thermostatic switch
 5602 2245AD Lower Rad. hose w/T-fitting & thermostatic switch

Note that the Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited radiator hose assemblies come
complete with a metal T-fitting with a bung to accept the thermostatic
switches to activate the fan, as well as the switch itself, all are
included in the single number for each hose. If using on another
application such as the Dakota, you would use only the T-fittings and
pre-installed thermostatic switches and discard the pieces of rubber
hose
attached to them. Then you would cut the existing upper and lower rad.
hoses and insert the metal T-fittings with the thermostatic switches,
which
will then be wired to control the relays to turn on the fan in low and
high
speed modes.

OK, now I have a question: How come I never saw a friggin' Jeep parts
book
before a few weeks ago, I've spent maybe an hour total of my life so far
looking at it, and yet with no formal Chrysler parts system training, an
hour's worth of experience with it, and even using an out of date
'fiche, I
seem to be able to quickly look up and find parts in the listing that a
bona fide Chrysler parts counter "professional", with access to the
complete catalog of all Chrysler parts books via a high tech
computerized
CDROM system can't seem to find??? Please somebody tell me WHY?
EEEEeeeeyyydiots! <g> Scott (sorry for the rant but I had to get that
off
my chest <g>).

Tim May
tmay@abercrombiekent.com