Re: Muffler & lowering

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 17:35:27 EDT

jsm@gwrra.org wrote:

> Been reading the list the last few days and want to make sure I
> understand the muffler discussion. With the V6 my best option would be
> using the factory exhaust and replacing the muffler with a Flowmaster 2
> chamber model? That way I don't lose any of the low end power like I
> would with a Gibson 3" cat-back?
>
> I did not see the magazines with the lowering articles, but I did come
> across the Sept issue of Mopar Muscle. There was an article about DJM's
> lowering kit (3"x5"). It seems fairly straightforward. Has anyone used
> this kit? If so how do you like the difference in the ride? Thanks...

I'm not familiar with the DJM kit, but one thing you don't want to do is
attempt any lowering of the front end by more 2" with springs alone.
It's a piss poor way to go about it, IMO, and particularly on the DAKS
it seems to introduce horrendous bumpsteer.

I went with the Western kit which uses a-arms to get those 2 inches. I'd
stay away from the Bell Tech kits or any other that uses springs and
blocks alone to get the job done. Yeah, you end up with the same look,
but at what cost for ride quality and drivability?

Someone mentioned having ridden in the actual truck in the article. Ride
quality was said to be about equal to stock. That's what you wanna see
when you're done.

Bob