Camshaft selction (was: RE: Buying the Cam)

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 13:10:32 EDT

<< 98's I
 would suspect
 a different cam (higher torque and horsepower peeks) only measurement
 will tell. >>

I think that is due to the exhaust system they put on the 98+ trucks..

<< pick a grind that will work with your controller and other
mods you have
performed or plan to perform >>

I run a cam with 264/274 adv dur (210/220) that gets .512 lift with 1.6
rockers, and it's on a 112 deg lobe sep angle... Powerband seems to peak right
at the stock 5200 rpm rev limiter, but a few more Rs wouldn't hurt (5500
shifts would be ideal) ..

It's real choppy in my 5.9, but I wouldn't do it any different. I think it's
right on the edge of computer compatability. I wouldn't want to go any longer
on the duration that's for sure...

I think it's probably the best grind out there for anyone that drag races
their truck. I have this cam in a heavy ram automatic, but in a light 5 spd
Dakota I doubt the low end torque would even be missed.. the midrange-top end
explosion is very, very noticable after the cam swap... even with the stock
heads and intake.

PN is CRS-264HR-12. It probably wouldn't hurt to change your timing chain
during the swap. Comp Cams timing set 3203 is what is specified.. They also
offer a rocker arm convertion I believe, it lists 1425-KIT for the rockers.

You can get away with stock springs for alittle bit, but I wouldn't run it
like that for a very long time .. I ran the stock springs for about 3 days
until I could get the valve covers off again and change over to the R/T
spring. MP offers a better "race" spring that'll drop in our Magnum engines.
Price is $9/spring over the $7.50/spring for the R/T spring from your local
parts desk..

You may also have to play with the fuel injection synch to get it to idle
correctly w/o it stalling. I had to do this but I suspect I could return it to
the stock range and it would idle fine now with the R/T springs.

One thing I would advise do is stay away from the MP grind. It's way too small
unless you do some hefty towing, I've seen two out of two people end up
disappointed b/c they chose the MP grind and ended up wanting more.

ttyl
Patrick