Re: Junker Law was: 99 Dakota R/T

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 09:39:39 EDT

I love the way the Environmental Nazis and politicians throw the numbers
around. "Reduce emissions by 50%". What they don't tell you is 50 % of 6% at a
cost of hundreds or thousands per vehicle. Wouldn't it be great if the truth in
advertising and truth in lending laws applied to political statements ?

They tried to force periodic emission testing on upstate NY recently and had a
full scale revolt going, to the point our emission tests upstate consist of a
visual inspection with the focus on the gas cap! About 3 years ago they tried
to force oxygenated fuel on upstate and had another rebellion on hand. It was
great to hear the politicians (Cuomo and company at the time) try to explain
why we had to use more expensive fuel that delivered less milage in an area
that doesn't have air quality problems! I think that fiasco lasted about a
month.

I would think most reasonable people would agree that we needed to produce
cleaner vehicles after1967 but I think they have reaced the economical limit
long ago and should concentrate on making cars run clean longer for the bone
heads that don't maintain them rather than pass expensive feel good
requirements that accomplish little or nothing at great expense to the
consumer.