RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Buying the Cam

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 15:06:09 EDT

Wouldn't the part in the head (5/16 - 18) be put under just as much
stress as the rest of the stud?? I don't see how just a bigger top
end would help??? I do under stand how pulling the head and machining
for a 3/8 stud would help. I really appreciate the info.

Tate

Tate,
If you are going to use an aftermarket roller rocker setup, you will
get studs in the installation kit. The factory hold-down bolts for the
factory rockers is 5/16 -18 (pretty small). Both Crower and Crane
use an ARP stud with their kits and are a heck of a lot more stable
(less flex), then the factory bolts. What I wanted to do is use a
larger
stud (3/8 -16 bottom, machine work required). I think I can get them.
You cannot use the factory rockers with the aftermarket studs for
the Dodge.

        Frank

> Thanks for the info here. Question - what would a rocker stud kit
do
> for me? Anything? I'm looking into replacing the valvetrain
(except
> the valves) and have no desire to pull the heads right now.
 Thanks.