RE: 99 Dakota R/T

From: Bradley, Seth J (seth.j.bradley@intel.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 16:33:20 EDT

> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 10:54:04 -0400 (EDT)
> From: panadalmis@unidial.com
> Subject: DML: 99 Dakota R/T
>
> Howdy everyone!
> I'm from Dallas, Tx and am considering purchasing a 1999 Dakota R/T in
> Sept, 98. I would
> appreciate a little info from you Dakota fans if possible. First some
> background. I'm
> currently in a 94 S-10 (no flames please) with the 195hp 4.3L V-6. I
> drive it to/from
> work and love the ocassional stoplight grand-prix I can win...but they
> are few. But more
> importantly I use my truck to pull my road-race car/trailer to upto 2
> events per month
> usually 75 miles away, but upto 450 miles twice a year. Ever since
> reading the article
> on the Dakota R/T in 8/98 Hot-Rod mag (page 58), I have been thinking
> nothing but that
> truck! My questions:
> 1. The dealers can't tell me squat about what the differences (if any)
> the 99 will have
> compared the the 98 R/T. Is there a number I can call to talk to
> someone at Dodge or
> whoever that KNOWS whats coming? Email address would be fine also.
        This was posted in June to this list:
        http://www.stephenames.com/new99.html

> 2. Can I get the "AHC" trailer tow group with the R/T? I want the
> performance of the 5.9L
> but don't want to burn it or the trans up pulling the trailer. I do
> not like full size
> trucks...the Dakota is a large as I can stand. Is there anyone
> pulling a trailer as heavy
> or heavier than mine with an R/T?
        My '99 R/T, which is due to arrive in a few days, was ordered
with the AHC tow group (and the 6"x9" power mirrors). The R/T is rated
to pull 6800 lbs with the factory hitch. I'm not real familiar with
hauling big loads, but you may need a load levelling hitch on the
trailer to approach that. You're probably looking at a special order for
either option, as I've neard heard of a dealer stock R/T with them.

        Seth Bradley