RE: O/D Lockout

From: Gary E. Klim (garyklim@snet.net)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 20:14:10 EDT

You should really consider lower gearing if you're only turning 1.3 - 1.5
RPM at 40 mph... ;-)

Seriously, I've tried starting my 98 while depressing the OD lockout switch.
It still defaults to OD "on". Only when you release the OD switch does the
OD Lockout light go on. I haven't looked at the schematic, but it might be
possible to wire a switch in series with the solenoid that activates torque
converter lockup and one in series for the one that selects 4th gear. If the
PCM isn't smart enough to detect an "open" condition at the solenoid coils,
this would be a neat mod for "RE" trannys.

BTW, and FYI, the torque converter will *also* lock in 3rd gear when the OD
is locked out. (Applies to 42RE/44RE/46RE) This info is direct from the 98
FSM.

Something to think about...

gk

Gary E. Klim - Somewhere In Connecticut mailto:garyklim@snet.net