RE: Exhaust question

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 14:32:43 EDT

Hmmm... this is a kinky preformance idea Frank came up with:
" " " " " " "
 What they do
with the seperate inputs INSIDE THE COMPUTER, is anyones guess and Dodge
won't tell.
What I would like to see, would be the left bank O2 readings control the
left bank of injectors
(pulse width ), and the right bank controlling the right. What I would
really like to see would be
an O2 sensor at every cylinder, that way we could control fuel flow on a
cylinder by cylinder
basis and better match the air flow balance of the intake system.
" " " " " " "

   Trying something like this would require SMPFI in order to control each
injector for the precise "burn" mix right? Now I haven't checked my motor but
I don't think it's SMPFI (I could be wrong) and I base this solely on all the
folks talking about Throttle Body mods (grinding/polishing etc.), but they
could be talking about older DAK's, mine's a 98.
   Sounds to me like an opportunity to put together a preformance kit. Intake
manifold with SMPFI system, new preformance computer that can read the
multiple inputs, exhaust headers with O2 sensors on each cylinder. Since it
makes the engine more efficient (thus stronger) it has to burn less fuel to do
the same work and should thus be able to pass Government & Chrysler muster as
a legal emissions certified system. Admittedly, knowing bureaucracies, the
paperwork would be huge, and take forever to get such a certificate.
   Adding in options for a dual exhaust system and a better intake system, it
could really pick up the preformance of a stock motor, but (pardon the pun)
this is all a pipe dream cause I don't have the dollars to research it and
short of a major company, I don't think any individual would.

   Frank, I'd love to see what goodies you are cooking up in your shop. Tell
me where you're at and when you're usually there and I'll try and stop by
sometime soon.

(SMPFI= Sequencial Multi-Port Fuel Injection: for those who were wondering.)

Shaun
Tustin, CA