Re: Pinging

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 12:21:50 EDT

> Before you make a fool of yourself in front of your dealer, read the
> following clipped from Chevron Canada's web page.

  I agree with Rob; no need to act like an idiot at your dealer for a
slight pinging problem. Higher octane can often be the easiest solution,
as long as there is no real mechanical problem.

  Somebody mentioned that the Chrysler ECM has a static timing control,
so that the dealer _might_ be able to retard your timing to take care of
the pinging, but at some performance cost.

  I myself am the Mainstay Of Least Octane Required, but I have been running
mid-grade fuel in my stock '95 because my engine will ping when my bed is loaded
down while running regular.

  I _might_ drop the thermostat temperature if/when I get the MP SBEC,
but not before then.

> Also, the conditions you're driving in can increase any car's octane
> requirements.
> For example:
> Do you make a lot of short trips?
> Do you drive in high temperatures?
> Do you carry or pull heavy loads?
> Do you drive in a low altitude area?
> If you answered "Yes" to any of the above your vehicle may perform better
> with a higher octane gasoline.

  But, that is Oil Marketing's prime desire: Convince people to buy
premium grades even when they don't really need it. Every bit of information
on that Chevron blurb is 100% correct, however they cleverly don't mention
pinging as the final arbiter of octane requirements.

  The way it should read is:

> Also, the conditions you're driving in can increase any car's [potential
> for preignition].
> For example:
> Do you make a lot of short trips?
> Do you drive in high temperatures?
> Do you carry or pull heavy loads?
> Do you drive in a low altitude area?
> If you [experience preignition under] any of the above your vehicle [will]
> perform better with a higher octane gasoline.

> Some late model cars equipped with electronic fuel management systems can
> take advantage of higher octane gasolines.

  Only when a knock sensor is part of the ignition control system. None of
the Dakotas I know of have knock sensors.

  Ron