Re: K&N Open air element Install

From: Thomas Vacchino (tommyv@thecia.net)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 08:27:58 EDT

O26ON4@aol.com wrote:

> << Ok, I just ordered my K&N open air element for my 92 V6. Has anyone got
> any pointers or advance warnings I should know before I install this???
>
> "psychonaut" >>
> I just installed a FIPK last nite on my R/T with no problems. I was nervous
> for a while because the threaded bolt K&N furnishes is, IMO, too long. It
> punctured the insulation on the underside of the hood but did not dimple the
> hood. This may not be a problem with your engine, but I would suggest gently
> lowering the hood to verify you have adequate clearance. As for as perfomance,
> maybe a little better throttle response, however the sound at WOT reminds me
> of my quadrajet days with with the filter lid flipped upside down on my
> Pontiac 400 c.i. engine, sure sounds great and with my Jet module due to
> arrive today, along with my underdrive pulleys, I should notice some seat of
> the pants improvement shortly.
> Regards,
> Steve Waller in Houston

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a insulation shield on my hood, didn't have one
when I bought it. Maybe wasn't stock in 92????, I just ordered my SBEC chip.
Should be in today!
I have dual exhaust all the way back and out 2.25" pipe, flowmaster mufflers and
high performance CATs. I hope I get the same sound out of the V6. Also looking at
FLEX fan maybe...........Thanks again!!

"psychonaut"