Re: Air Intake Temp

From: W. Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 13:26:37 EDT

This applies to the 97+ Daks , BTW !

>A couple months ago , I think it was Mike Catlin that actually did that .
>
>He has a new R/T (I think) and he and I noticed that there is enough room
between the pass-side of the radiator and the headlight (covered by a
rubber splash-guard) to route an intake hose thru .

>I think he or someone else routed the intake going TO the factory airbox
from this opening and noticed a drastic improvement .

>Mike and I were wanting to get a piece of 3" aluminum pipe that could be
mandrel bent to go directly from the opening beside the rad to the factory
air hat .

>I think he found the aluminum , but when he tried to bend it , it got
really ugly .

>We could use a piece of 3" steel exhaust pipe and have it ceramic coated
for like $50 .

>On the end of the pipe that sticks thru the splash guard would be a
conical K&N style filter .

>Since htis is directly behind the grille with an unobstructed view , this
woud create a Ram Air effect (or should) .

>I have never gotten around to actually doing it yet , and from what K&N
says , the one they'll have available by the end of October will be exactly
like that .

>I think I'll just wait till K&N shows me what htey have and then see the
$200 price or whatever it will be , and THEN I will make make my own .