Air Intake Temp

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 13:09:31 EDT

Hi all:

   I did my first "mod" yesterday, I installed a K&N airfilter in the standard
"Box" (it was a 2018) and the truck seemed to breathe much better after that.
 I have a huge problem with something else I discovered though. I went to
uncouple the box top and it was ENORMOUSLY hot. I can only imagine, that
after the air goes through that hot box, what temperature it is when it enters
the engine. If the intake system gets that hot just cruising around, I'd hate
to see how hot it is when you really work the engine.
   I know many of you put the "open air" kits and K&N filters on the trucks,
but those seem like they too would be pulling hot air off the engine. After
reading about the other mods out there, (like ram air: that would solve the
problem) I'm curious if anyone has ever thought of having an inexpensive
custom intake system made. It seems to me like there's a ton of space there
to work with if you remove the factory system.

   Here's some basic ideas that could be incorporated into a custom system:

An intercooler
Laminar Air Flow
Ceramic or Fiberglass Heat shielding

   If anyone else has some interest in trying to develop a system like this,
go ahead and e-mail me directly (no sense in burdening the list with a bunch
of technical yak). I figure the above system could be done for about $200 (a
guess) using over-the counter parts, which would be cheaper than a ram air
system and would keep your Dak looking stock on the outside. Just some ideas
rolling around in my brain.

Shaun
Tustin, CA