Re: 99 R/T P.S.

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 17:48:29 EDT

This horror story was written:
" " " " "
The guy got a very long running start , and while attempting to get on the
truck at about 25-30 MPH in reverse , missed the ramps and smashed into the
sides of the truck .

Once again , this car was fixed and sold as new .
" " " " "

  This was done in CA? This is *SO* totally illegal that if the DMV EVER
found out about it, the dealership would be fined, have it's operations
license suspended (or maybe revoked) and Chrysler would likely have an
attorney contact them as well.

  The real way this should be done is that ANY significant transport damage to
the vehicle (ie: beyond body work= frame or integrity related) must be
reported to the DMV and it will be given a "salvage" title. Body/Paint damage
must be reported to the purchaser and a release waiver signed (if car is being
sold as "new").
  How do I know this? I leased a 1990 Chrysler LHS that had it's transport
hook 'snap' (no real damage to the car) while it was in transit on the train
from Detroit to Calif. The dealer ground the hook off and welded 2
strengthening plates to the frame. It was now stronger than it was
originally, but they had to have a "salvage" title made and I had to sign off
on the contract that I knew of the damage and was buying the car "as is".
  When I gave the car back to the leasing company, they sold it and neglected
to tell the new buyer about the damage who happened to be a cop and ran the
title: finding out it was a salvage title. He called me and asked me what the
damage was all about. I told him, and he went off and railed on the lease
company for not telling him (I think he could've sued them if he wanted to).
   In any case, this kind of thing should be reported to the CA DMV or other
proper authorities. It's not good business and it is only shady dealerships
that would do this kind of thing.

Shaun
Tustin, CA