Re: 99 R/T P.S.

From: W . Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 17:59:15 EDT

Well , the instance where the guys car was trashed was at a dealer.....BUT
, the other , where the guy missed the ramps happened AT THE FACTORY .

GM had the car fixed before it was shipped and YES it is illegal .

There was an investigative report done locally about 3 years ago about this
very thing .

Apparently , it is very wide-spread and happens quite often , even if it is
illegal .

At , you wrote:
>This horror story was written:
>" " " " "
>The guy got a very long running start , and while attempting to get on the
>truck at about 25-30 MPH in reverse , missed the ramps and smashed into the
>sides of the truck .
>
>Once again , this car was fixed and sold as new .
>" " " " "
>
> This was done in CA? This is *SO* totally illegal that if the DMV EVER
>found out about it, the dealership would be fined, have it's operations
>license suspended (or maybe revoked) and Chrysler would likely have an
>attorney contact them as well.
>
> The real way this should be done is that ANY significant transport
damage to
>the vehicle (ie: beyond body work= frame or integrity related) must be
>reported to the DMV and it will be given a "salvage" title. Body/Paint
damage
>must be reported to the purchaser and a release waiver signed (if car is
being
>sold as "new").
> How do I know this? I leased a 1990 Chrysler LHS that had it's transport
>hook 'snap' (no real damage to the car) while it was in transit on the train
>from Detroit to Calif. The dealer ground the hook off and welded 2
>strengthening plates to the frame. It was now stronger than it was
>originally, but they had to have a "salvage" title made and I had to sign off
>on the contract that I knew of the damage and was buying the car "as is".
> When I gave the car back to the leasing company, they sold it and neglected
>to tell the new buyer about the damage who happened to be a cop and ran the
>title: finding out it was a salvage title. He called me and asked me what
the
>damage was all about. I told him, and he went off and railed on the lease
>company for not telling him (I think he could've sued them if he wanted to).
> In any case, this kind of thing should be reported to the CA DMV or other
>proper authorities. It's not good business and it is only shady dealerships
>that would do this kind of thing.
>
>Shaun
>Tustin, CA

W . Jack Hilton III