Re: Air Intake Temp

From: O26ON4@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 08 1998 - 09:04:42 EDT

<< I did my first "mod" yesterday, I installed a K&N airfilter in the
standard
 "Box" (it was a 2018) and the truck seemed to breathe much better after that.
  I have a huge problem with something else I discovered though. I went to
 uncouple the box top and it was ENORMOUSLY hot. I can only imagine, that
 after the air goes through that hot box, what temperature it is when it
enters
 the engine. If the intake system gets that hot just cruising around, I'd
hate
 to see how hot it is when you really work the engine.
    I know many of you put the "open air" kits and K&N filters on the trucks,
 but those seem like they too would be pulling hot air off the engine.
 Shaun
 Tustin, CA >>
Shaun,
On the Grand Prix list there was some fairly extensive, albeit unscientific,
testing done to see what adverse effects using a K&N cone setup would have
v.s. the stock air inlet system, i.e., would the engine compartmet heated
inlet air be detrimental to the superchargers' performance. Using
thermocouples and instrumentation it was determined that the engine
compartment and the inlet air is almost the same as ambient while the vehicle
is moving and the air at stop is heated while going thru the inlet air duct
while at not moving, therefore, we on the list felt that the improved air flow
more than made up for any losses incurred by hotter air.
The Buick GN people have known this for years, they could gain a tenth in the
1/4 by using the cone as opposed to the factory air inlet plumbing.
Regards,
Steve Waller in Houston