Re: Air Intake Temp

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Aug 08 1998 - 12:19:57 EDT

At 10:51 PM 8/7/98 , you wrote:

>Funny that you brought that up!!!
>I am tossing around some plans on making a cold ram air induction that
should kick
>ass. This should bring the intake air temps way way down, which means a
lot of
>horse power gain.
>Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hardly an expert in this area so I may be way off in my thinking (most
likely explanation), but it seem to me that all this talk about cold air
induction using dryer vent tube etc. is a big step backwards. After all,
the whole idea of going the open face filter route was to increase the
volume of the air flow into the TB. Now everyone seems so concerned with
the temperature of the air. So they use these dryer vent tubes, etc. to get
cold outside air. But doesn't that cut down the volume of the air getting
to the TB? You're trading volume for temperature. Doesn't that put you
right back where you started before you did any mods at all. Along with all
these experiments trying to figure out the temperature of the air getting
into the TB, I would like to see some numbers for the volume of air flowing
through these home brew intakes. Especially compared to the stock air box.
I still think you are better off with great big gulps of hot air rather
than little bitty sips of cold air. Please have mercy in your responses.
I'm trying to learn :)

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse the privilege.