Re: Air Intake Temp

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 21:33:47 EDT

At 11:19 AM 8/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:51 PM 8/7/98 , you wrote:
>
>>Funny that you brought that up!!!
>>I am tossing around some plans on making a cold ram air induction that
>should kick
>>ass. This should bring the intake air temps way way down, which means a
>lot of
>>horse power gain.
>>Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I am hardly an expert in this area so I may be way off in my thinking (most
>likely explanation), but it seem to me that all this talk about cold air
>induction using dryer vent tube etc. is a big step backwards. After all,
>the whole idea of going the open face filter route was to increase the
>volume of the air flow into the TB. Now everyone seems so concerned with
>the temperature of the air. So they use these dryer vent tubes, etc. to get
>cold outside air. But doesn't that cut down the volume of the air getting
>to the TB? You're trading volume for temperature. Doesn't that put you
>right back where you started before you did any mods at all. Along with all
>these experiments trying to figure out the temperature of the air getting
>into the TB, I would like to see some numbers for the volume of air flowing
>through these home brew intakes. Especially compared to the stock air box.
>I still think you are better off with great big gulps of hot air rather
>than little bitty sips of cold air. Please have mercy in your responses.
>I'm trying to learn :)

  Yep, you've got the right idea. Big gulps of hot air are better than
tiny sips of cold air. However, if the engine can only handle 500cfm
(just making up a number), which is better, 500cfm of hot air, or
450cfm of cold air? Personally, I have no idea. I suspect that the
power generated by the cold air overtakes the hot air somewhere before
max flow capability of the engine. Once you get the flow of the
hot air and cold air the same, the cold air will certainly make more
power, but I have a feeling the cold air starts making more power
even before they are equal.

   Also, most of the people using the dryer vent stuff are doing more
than just pulling in cold air; they're placing them in the airstream
itself (like Bill Tierney's old ram-air system, which pulled air up from
the airdam). So, the engine doesn't have to suck the cold air through
the pipe, its actually being rammed in there by the relative wind; which
could create a mini supercharger of sorts...

  An even more efficient way appears to be a ram-air from the hood
itself. When I got my ram-air hood, I was planning on just letting the
cold air flow near my open element air cleaner, since I didn't want to
reduce the air flow after having spent money on opening the thing up.
However, when I fabbed up a temporary cardboard and duct tape box to
seal off the hood to the air cleaner, I picked up about 2 tenths and
2mph. That's what sold me on ram-air. :-)

  I definitely agree with you on the need for more experimentation. Flow
and volume numbers would be great. Probably the only sure way to solve this
is to put a dyno in a wind tunnel...

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |