Re: Dyno Results on the R/T with Jet Chip

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Sat Aug 08 1998 - 16:58:45 EDT

Well I received my Jet chip #99823-S last night for my R/T. I
thought it felt different but just wasn't sure. Anyway I took
the R/T to EPI Tuning in Maryland. They have a "Dynojet" chassis
Dyno and they only charge $50 for 2 pulls. They ended up doing
several more pulls just checking things out. This is the exact
same dyno used in the "Hot Rod" magazine article that dynode a
stock R/T in there May 1998 issue. To be fair to Jet chip I
installed as per their instructions last night and drove around
last night and to the dyno. They let the R/T cool down and did
the first pull with the Jet chip still installed. This was giving
Jet a slight advantage since the following pulls with the Jet chip
removed would be done on a hotter engine. They hooked up the truck
with the front facing out of the building with a large fan blowing
air at the front of the truck. the temperature was 86 degrees outside
and kinda humid. Well hears the rear wheel dyno results:

           PEAK HORSE POWER PEAK TORQUE

Jet chip 217.2 300.3

Stock Computer 220.3 303.5

Hot Rod Mag 191.7 252.2

As you can see I LOST power with the chip. The only good news is
my basically stock (Throttle body mods & MP air cleaner) R/T is making
220 rear wheel HP & 303 rear wheel lb-ft of torque. That's pretty
good considering Hot rod used the same dyno on a new R/T and got
about 30 less HP and 40 less lb-ft of torque. Once my headers get
here it's back to the dyno. I do want to thank Jack for all the effort
he put into the group purchases. One last note I'd say the G-tec is
pretty accurate since the readings I got from it also said in the 220s
for HP although I did get a 233 HP reading on a cool night on the G-tec.
If anyone wants to see my dyno print out this should get you there:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/2566/

Toasted Again
Mike Catlin