Re: Homebrew air cleaner

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 10:38:34 EDT

At 05:20 PM 8/9/98 , you wrote:

>I'm no engineer, but the answer to your question would seem to be that your
>engine's need for air is finite...any volume beyond a certain point is waste
>(sorta like large boobs). If a tube can flow enough air to meet your
>engine's maximum possible draw, then it works. I would think that it's not
>the box around the filter that's that's a problem, but how much air can be
>delivered to the box.

A very good point. I think there was even a discussion about this a while
back. Complete with numbers and formulas (formulae?). Anyway, it all wound
up giving me a big headache :) I have always suspected that the open
element air cleaners were somewhat overkill in that they could deliver more
air that the engine could handle. The question is, how much can you enclose
and restrict them before you start losing power?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some people just abuse the privilege.