Re: Air Intake Temp

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 11:48:23 EDT

High Temperatures
Volume
Turbulent Flow

  Having operated a turbo-charged car, the high temps of a turbo can nearly
destroy all the gains a turbo adds. By putting an intercooler (essentially a
heat-exchanger that cools the air into the engine) on the intake it
dramatically improves horsepower. It also adds length (restricts volume) onto
the intake system and creates turbulent air. No matter what you do, you seem
to run across tradeoff's.
  In non-turbo systems, an intercooler is less necessary as the intake air is
usually not heated as high as with a turbo. My main concern is that after
running around in my Dak for awhile, I burned my fingers on the filter-box.
If it supposedly has cool "outside" air being run through it all the time, why
was it so hot? The Chrysler boys only had minimal heat shielding to protect
the box from the exhaust mainifold. I suspect 2 things here:
  The engine was tested and okay'd on the big RAM truck with a larger engine
compartment, so it had more "airspace" between the filter box and the
manifold. When they put it on the Dakota, they had to move the box back and
closer into the engine, so that when they fired it up they said "well, the box
didn't melt so it'll be fine there". However, now the Dak is stuck with a
very hot intake system and a very 'snakey' one. I think Chrysler is saving
some $$$$$ here.
  The system should've been redesigned for the Dak with a smoother airflow and
greater insulation from the exhaust manifold. This is something that any
designer could do in his/her sleep, and missing the direct line to the front
of the truck is nearly criminal (I missed it as well until it was pointed out
to me-doh]). With that direct intake & proper insulation, the intercooler
becomes totally unnecessary, but clean, high-volume, laminar flow air still
should be induced by any replacement system.

Shaun
Tustin, CA