RE: Engine Coolants

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 18:49:24 EDT

   I don't really agree with Alan's technique here (I'm not saying it's wrong,
I just don't see the advantage of it). Coolant has more functions than just
keeping your motor cool. Most modern coolant/anti-freeze's have chemicals
that prohibit interraction between metals of different types (electrolysis,
oxidation, etc.) and water to metal contact. With nearly all engines now
mixing aluminum and iron along the coolant path: this is critical. A 50/50
mix of any common coolant should work well in any motor so long as you keep
your cooling system maintained. I would think Alan's system would require
even MORE maintenance than standard.
   Most mechanics agree that you should flush and refill your cooling system
at least once a year. Just pick a season to do it in and always do it. In
hot climates: do it before summer; in cold: before winter. You can even use
"cheap" coolants without much worry since they will be refreshed every year.
The problem with coolants is that if you leave them in for too long, the
chemical nature of them changes them into an acidic mixture that will begin to
attack the metals. Aluminum is the first to be affected by this. The moral
of the story is: keep your coolant fresh and clean and your motor will be
happy.
   I took my new Dak up Halloran Pass outside of Baker, CA at 85mph in 98
degree heat. The coolant temp never even hit 210 degrees. This suggests that
the radiator has no problem with cooling a hard working engine. I fully
expect it to remain that way for the life of the truck as long as I keep the
cooling system maintained. Since coolant is among the cheaper of the truck's
needs, I think I can handle doing it twice a year (winter/summer).

Shaun
Tustin, CA